Capital and Endowment Gifts
Gifts to support capital projects and the endowment come in many ways: unrestricted, restricted, or named endowments which support an area of particular interest to a donor and by bequest.
Roots & Reach Campaign
Summit is a strong school today because past families planned and gave to support its capital growth.
All members of the Summit School community are responsible for its long-term interests and financial stability, and are asked to make Summit a philanthropic priority to maintain the quality of the school’s facilities and programs. Current Summit students benefit directly from the investments made in our plant and facilities by generations of families before us, as well as the visionary and bold decisions entrusted to the community by the Board of Trustees.
The goal for the Roots & Reach Campaign is to raise $1 million by 2026.
Summit’s endowment funds, established in 1959, have grown to more than $14,100,000 and generate $720,000 annually for the operating budget. These funds enable Summit to respond quickly to needs and keep the school innovative.
Summit has the largest per student endowment of NCAIS (North Carolina Association of Independent Schools) schools. The Board’s policy is to spend 5% of a three year rolling average of the value of the endowment for operations.
Gifts to the general endowment fund are always welcome. If you are interested in establishing a permanent, named endowment, or for additional information, please contact Jeanne Sayers, Director of Development, at 336-724-5811.
- Summit School Endowment Fund – 1959
- Joe Parrish Jr. Sports Fund – 1985
- Clara Allen Scholarship Fund - 1990
- Louise Futrell Fund – 1990
- Lewis Fund For Faculty Excellence – 1990
- Lula Ditmore Sandlin Fund for Teaching Enrichment – 1990
- Aurelia Plumly Spaugh Fund – 1992
- Wilson Family Enrichment Fund – 1993
- Jessica Marsha Wolfman '94 Exchange Fund – 1994
- Kate Sandridge Sink '53 Fund – 1995
- Albert L. Butler, Jr. and Elizabeth Bahnson Butler Endowment of the Lewis Fund for Faculty Excellence – 1997
- Alumni Scholarship Fund – 1997
- Head’s Discretionary Fund – 1997
- Anne Hanes Willis '36 Endowment of the Lewis Fund for Faculty Excellence – 1997
- Elizabeth Fuller and Henry Lewis Valk Fund for Faculty Excellence – 1999
- Marian G. DeBell Fund – 2000
- The Perkinson Family Travel Fund – 2000
- Marian Millaway Douglas '69 Award for Faculty Excellence – 2001
- Mary Lee Nelson LaFar Moore Endowment for Faculty Support – 2001
- Sara Courtney Bradshaw '05 Fund – 2001
- Donna Shores Diversity Fund – 2002
- Summit School Opportunity Fund – 2006
- Thomas A. Gray '63 Endowment – 2008
- Katherine V. Rachel Moyer Class of '00 Endowment Fund – 2013
- Triad Academy Financial Aid Endowment - 2012
- Endowment for the Center for Excellence and Innovation – 2014
- Sylvia Holt Cebeci '56 Memorial Fund – 2014