Center for Excellence & Innovation
Summit School’s Center for Excellence & Innovation (CEI) was founded in 2012 with a mission to offer professional education workshops and conferences that use the latest research, science and best practices to develop the talents, skills and passion for teaching among faculty and administrators.
Located in Winston-Salem, NC on the campus of Summit School, the Center for Excellence & Innovation invites independent, public, parochial, and charter school educators who are committed to creating powerful learning experiences drawing on the research and ideas of leading educational thinkers and child development experts. Our workshops and conferences blend theory with practical application, including the opportunity for teachers to observe, network, and/or develop their craft.
To learn more about course offerings, please email the appropriate Division Director below.
I gained many resources that I could immediately use in my classroom. I also met many wonderful and brilliant people that were happy to exchange ideas with me.
Because it trained me (ongoing) to learn how to help my students understand Spanish in class (how to ‘comprehensify’ input), the impact that an increased focus on INput instead of OUTput can have on language acquisition, and what it looks like day to day to make this shift in instruction.
Responsive Classroom helped me the most. It reminded me to stop, focus and listen to the students. It gave me tools to deal with students who struggled to get along. It helped me achieve a calmer environment.
- Introduction to Responsive Classroom Sampler
- Learning to Breathe: Mindfulness for Students & Educators [Grades K-12]
- Bee Cause: Beekeeping at Your School [Grades K-12]
- Creating a Culture of Thinking: Where Thinking is Visible & Actively Promoted [Grades K-12]
- Creating, Coding, and Making: Hands on Higher Order Thinking [Grades 3-12]
- Reinventing Mathematics: Inspiring Students in a Self-Paced Model [Grades 3-12]
- Teaching Music to Students with the Dyslexia Superpower
- Tinkering: Playful Inquiry [PreK-8]
- Booking Binding Studio: Making & Publishing [Grades 4-12]
- TeamBuilding & TeamPlay: Guiding Community and Connection
- 3D Printing: For Real Learning [Grades 4-12]
- Orton-Gillingham Associate Level Training for Educators
- Early Childhood Summit
- William Van Cleave | Writing in the Content Areas