Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan
Summit's vision is for students to develop curious and creative minds, healthy bodies, ethical values, and a commitment to service; for parents to be completely confident in the creative, intellectual, and social education of their children; and for educators to lead their field in preparing students to succeed in a rapidly changing world. At Summit, we educate leaders and innovators who will shape the future.
Summit School provides a challenging curriculum within a caring environment to help students develop their full potential.
Summit School Strategic Plan
Developing Our Full Potential
Summit’s history is one of excellence, innovation and deep commitment to the child. Summit came into being as a school featuring multi-disciplinary, comprehensive programs and focusing on the education of the whole child—a focus that continues into the present and pivots on meaningful learning that positions children to succeed within and beyond the classroom.
Summit is well known for providing a challenging curriculum within a caring environment to help all students develop their full potential. The same combination of heart and vision that led founder Louise Futrell in 1933 to develop a program committed to the wonders, richness and complexity of each child leads us as educators in 2011 to embrace a new strategic vision that extends our reach into the future while remaining true to our roots.
This strategic plan, Developing Our Full Potential, outlines strategic priorities to ensure that learning at Summit School continues to evolve and expand to its fullest potential in a dynamic and changing world. The plan is the result of an extensive organizational self-study undertaken in preparation for our SAIS/SACS reaccreditation, parent surveys, board retreats, staff input and close analysis of emerging external trends and demographics.
Our Strategic Goals
Three areas of emphasis frame our strategic plan: Exceptional Educators, Inspiring Learning and Effective Communication. Clearly defining and increasing our capacity in these areas will allow Summit School to develop our full potential by fulfilling and sustaining our mission, realizing our vision, and delivering on our six promises.
Click on the diagram below to read more about each area.
Summit faculty and staff have a rich history as talented, generous, leadership-oriented experts in their fields who enthusiastically meet the academic, social, emotional, and physical needs of a high-achieving and diverse population of learners. As lifelong learners who shape the future, we will continue to focus on thinking creatively, reasoning systematically, and working collaboratively, both within and beyond the Summit community.
Teachers, administrators, staff, board and parents alike must continue to demonstrate deep commitment to providing the passionate and innovative learning that develops both students’ and Summit’s full potential. Our plan will:
- Make continuous, well-defined, and strategic professional learning a central part of our culture and practice.
- Formalize leadership opportunities for faculty in the areas of curriculum design, pedagogy and program development.
- Further develop and refine the process for performance review, aligning feedback and assessment with published criteria that are grounded in current research.
- Attract and retain the highest quality faculty, staff and administrators.
- Better leverage Summit’s membership in local, regional and national organizations as a source of professional development for teachers, administrators and board leadership.
The cornerstone of the Summit educational experience is fostering a DNA for learning within our students: they are prepared, honorable, curious, accepting and socially responsible. Possessing these core competencies will inspire Summit students to address the challenges of a future no one can predict. Our program will continue to reflect the changing educational landscape and will be designed for each student to develop his or her full potential.
Inspiring learning at Summit is not limited to students. We cultivate a culture of learning that encompasses our parents, faculty, staff, board, administration and the community. Focusing on the developmental needs of children, current research, science and best practices, the professionals at Summit School will engage in collaborative, vigorous and structured professional learning geared toward excellence and innovation in all aspects of our program. Our plan will:
- Further develop and refine the process for curriculum development and program assessment.
- Further develop and implement theoretically sound, research based best practices in assessment of student learning.
- Pursue collaborations and partnerships with mission-aligned organizations, institutions and schools. Develop incentives for excellence and innovation.
- Continue to embrace inclusivity and diversity as critical components of the Summit community.
As experts in the field of education, we will engage in and lead teaching and learning-related conversations locally, regionally and nationally. Summit’s unique story is both timeless and timely with its roots in authentic progressive education and its reach into research-based, developmentally appropriate, technology-enhanced pedagogy and program. Safeguarding Summit’s viability for generations to come requires that we continue to share our unique and compelling narrative with all constituencies and to make the Summit experience accessible to a broad and diverse range of families. Our plan will:
- Aggressively engage in thought leadership to enhance the visibility of our expertise and to contribute to greater public good.
- Implement an ongoing, data-driven integrated marketing plan that focuses on effective communication of the distinctive competencies delivered by a Summit education.
- Better communicate our process for reviewing, refining and developing institutional sustainability through financial stewardship.